Don’t miss out! Follow Herbsandoilsremedies on Facebook and Pinterest to stay up to date with new posts to bring more love and life into your home......
Here’s the perfect DIY tutorial you have been looking for to finally put an end to your bugs worries. Learn How To Make Homemade Natural Bug Spray repellent in simple easy steps to add to your insect repellent arsenal.
It’s non-toxic, smells lovely and keeps the bugs away! This recipe literally takes just seconds to mix up and can be varied based on what you have available. I have included several variations so you can try whichever one you have the ingredients for and after picking up the main ingredients, this repellent costs less than a $1 per bottle to make.
- Essential oils: choose from Citronella, Clove, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Cajeput, Eucalyptus, Cedar, Catnip, Lavender, Mint
- Natural Witch Hazel
- Distilled or boiled Water
- Vegetable glycerin (optional)
How to Make Homemade Bug Spray:
- Fill spray bottle (I used 8 ounce) 1/2 full with distilled or boiled water
- Add witch hazel to fill almost to the top
- Add 1/2 tsp vegetable glycerin if using
- Add 30-50 drops of essential oils to desired scent. The more oils you use, the stronger the spray will be. My personal favorite mix is: Rosemary, Clove, Cajeput, Lavender, Cinnamon and Eucalyptus… it works great and smells good too!
- Distilled water
- witch hazel or rubbing alcohol
- dried herbs: peppermint, spearmint, citronella, lemongrass, catnip, lavender, etc.
- I recommend using at least one herb from the mint family.
How to Make Bug Spray From Fresh or Dried Herbs:
- Boil 1 cup of water and add 3-4 TBSP of dried herbs total in any combination from the above. I use 1 TBSP each of peppermint, spearmint, catnip and lavender, and also throw in a couple of dried cloves.
- Mix well, cover and let cool (covering is important to keep the volatile oils in!)
- Strain herbs out and mix water with 1 cup of witch hazel or rubbing alcohol. Store in a spray bottle in a cool place (fridge is great because then its nice and cool!)
- Use as needed. Added bonus: it smells great and is very refreshing to the skin!
Vinegar of the Four Thieves Insect Repellent Ingredients:
- 1 32 ounce bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 TBSP each of dried Sage, Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme and Mint
- At least quart size glass jar with airtight lid
How to Make the Vinegar of the Four Thieves Insect Repellent:
- Put the vinegar and dried herbs into large glass jar.
- Seal tightly and store on counter or place you will see it daily. Shake well each day for 2-3 weeks.
- After 2-3 weeks, strain the herbs out and store in spray bottles or tincture bottles, preferably in fridge.
- To use on skin, dilute to half with water in a spray bottle and use as needed.
- Use whenever you need serious bug control!
[Note: This mixture is very strong and has antiviral and antibacterial properties. It can also be used as a tincture for any illness. For adults, dose is 1 TBSP in water several times a day,for kids over 2, dose is 1 tsp in water several times a day. Spray a small amount near your ankle to test for a skin reaction before spritzing all over, taking care to avoid the face area.
This repellent is safe to reapply every 30 minutes as needed. Or spray directly on bugs, indoors or out, or on tables or along window sills to deter their pesky attention.
Did you enjoy this post? Please consider leaving a comment and sharing using the Social Buttons below
Click Here To Get Bargain Prices, Smart Deals and Save on Essential Oils for making your own all natural, non-toxic, organic products that are fun to make and cheaper than their store bought counterparts...